SC - brie

Ian van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Mon Feb 1 10:25:08 PST 1999

Dee, if you liked baked brie, I wonder if you would like losyns?

Fomre of Cury #88:
Take good broth and do it in an erthen pot.  Take flour of payndemayn
and make therof past with water, and make therof thynne foyles as
paper with a roller, drye it harde and seeth it in broth.  Take
cheese ruayn grated and lay it in disshes with powdour douce, and lay
theron loseyns isode as hoole as thou myght, and above powdour and
chese;  and so twyse or thryse, and serue it forth.

I got this out of Maggie Black's book too (this was the first one
that made me think all might not be well with her redactions).  She
states at the front of one of her other books that cheese ruayn
(rewain, etc.) is brie (substantiation, anyone??) but somehow ignores
that for this recipe.  Doubtless if you don't have your own pet
recipe for powder douce dozens of people on the list will oblige.

Cairistiona