SC - Grits 'n all that stuff

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Mon Feb 1 07:22:43 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

> Any ideas?    >>

>Possibly. As an American, I might be 'odd' also because I was raised to the
>gourmet treats of things like chili on toast (for breakfast no less), bread
>and gravy, a slice of bread always went in the bottom of the soup bowl before
>the soup was poured in. Leftover meats were often cut up and reheated in the
>leftover gravy and served with a big platter of toast for pouring the meat
>mixture over. I had always thought this a 'Dutch' thing. But then again the
>British lay claim to gin also. ;-)

We also have "Bread and Drippin'"  which is a slice of bread with the condensed
jellyfied meat drippings (cold) which remain under the fat layer which forms in
the meat tin spread on it.  It's very tasty, and usually eaten the morning
after the meal the meat was cooked for!  I think that one comes from the North
of England.

The wierdest dish with bread I've heard of is the Welsh "Bara The"  which is
something my grandfather loved.  It's also mentioned in an Homish and Mennonite
Cookbook I have.  (???? came from the Great Depression?).  Anyway its' bread
(sometimes buttered), put in the bottom of a bowl and tea (complete with milk
and sugar) poured over it.  My grandfather used to eat it with cheese.
Couldn't get me mear that one with a barge pole sorry!

>So far as trenchers go, there was a special person whose task it was to cut
>the trenchers. They were squares of bread which then held the food to be
>eaten. As the food was eaten they were removed and replaced with new
>trenchers. The used trenchers were then distributed to the poor or in the case
>of small personal meals were often kept over night and soaked in wine to be
>served for breakfast. I was not aware that they were actually eaten during the
>meal in which they were used. Would you be able to let me know where this info
>is located. please?

I'm only going on small bits I remember being told sorry, (really sorry because
I know you like the documentation) but if I find any documentation, I'll gladly
pass it along ASAP.  (I'm always researching).

Elysant