SC - Quantities of salt and spices used.

Mon Feb 1 21:02:06 PST 1999

> When we discuss quantities of spices added, we would do well to consider
> their
> shelf life.  In period, spices were usually on the (Silk) Road something
> like
> three years after their harvesting, before they came to the cooks' hands.

Another common route for spices was from India to Mocha at the beginning of
the monsoon.  From Mocha to the two major ports at the head of the Red Sea.
Transport overland to Alexandria or the Levant.  Then by sea to Turkey and
Italy or overland to Persia.

This sea route was used for almost a thousand years without hindrance,
moving at least one large shipload of spices every year.

Spices brought over the sea route appear to have brought premium prices,
being fresher and untainted by animal sweat.

> Our spices, OOTH, are whisked from their plant-y birth to Mccormick's
> bottelery, [or wherever] and thence to our shelves in mere weeks.
> Obviously,
> what we use is likely to give a much bigger bang than what they had!
>
> Surely this must be a factor.
>
> Devra the Baker

Not necessarily.  Ground spices lose potency faster than whole spices.  And
it is often hard to tell how long a ground spice has been in distribution.

I buy most of my spices from a health food store and difference in potency
between those and the spices from the large distributors is truly
noticeable.

Bear