SC - Steak and Kidney Pie

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Tue Feb 2 18:22:56 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>I don't think that Student Puck is so much worried about where he can find a
>restaurant that serves S & K pie but rather is trying to find a generous soul
>of England on the list who would be willing to share an authentic ENGLISH
>recipe for this dish. His talents in the kitchen would preclude him from
>seeking it out commercially at any rate. :-)

>BTW, Puck, it seems that you'll have to commandeer a boat and go over there
>and wring the recipe out of some one. :-)

(Sigh)  Sorry the request went "over my head!"

For Puck

Steak and Kidney Pie - authentic British recipe. (Modern)

Ingedients:
crust:	    8 oz/225g flaky or rough puff pastry, beaten egg for glazing

filling:    1 1/2 lbs/675g stewing steak,  8 oz/225g ox kidney,
	    seasoned flour, 1 onion sliced, 4 oz/100g musherooms
	    1 beef stock cube (they used OXO in the recipe) crumbled and
	    dissolved in 1/2 pint/275ml hot water

Method:
Trim the stewing steak and cut into cubes.  Wash the kidney in salt water,
remove the core and cut into small pieces.  Toss the meat and kidney in
seasoned flour.  Place in a large saucepan with the onion, mushrooms and beef
stock. Season.  Cover, bring to the boil, and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.  Allow
to cool.

Fill a 1 1/2 pint/1 litre oval pie dish with the cooked meat and vegetables.
ROll out the chilled pastry on a lightly floured worktop to an oval 1 inch (2
1/2cm larger all round than the pie dish.  Cut off narrow strips round the
edge of the pastry.  Damp the rim and line with the pastry strips.  Damp the
strips and cover the filling with the remaining pastry, pressing down gently
to seal.  Trim, flake, and flute the edges.  Cut three slits in the centre and
decorate with pastry leaves and a rose made from the trimmings.  Mark the top
of the pie in a diamond pattern using the point of a knife.  Glaze with beaten
egg or milk.  Bake on the second shelf from the top of a hot oven (425 F,
220 C, Gas mark 7) for 35 - 45 minutes.

(oz are Imperial)

Let me know if you need the recipes for the two types of pastry mentioned.
This recipe uses mushrooms.  Sometimes mushrooms are not included though.

Elysant