SC - Chinese Explorers

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 3 06:10:15 PST 1999

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain wrote:

> Can't remember where I saw it, but one of the early (16th century) English
> explorers of the Carolinas (as I recall, he was escaping from the Spanish
> in St Augustine) reported seeing elephants.  Left-over American mastodons,
> perhaps, or imperial mammoths...?
>
> Alasdair mac Iain

Manly Wade Wellman was an author of much fiction set in the mountains of
North Carolina, and his stories include frequent references to bammats,
if I remember the word correctly, as large, wolly, trunked-and-tusked
creatures that haunted the woods. I don't recall whether the bammat is
dangerous to humans or not, or whether it is supposed to be an actual,
living mammoth or some kind of ghostly thing, but perhaps Wellman is
either recalling the account you mention, or maybe there's some kind of
persistent local tradition.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy