SC - Steak and Kidney Pie

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 3 07:02:02 PST 1999

Christine Krebs-Bonder wrote:

> I have a copy of Mrs. Beetons Book of Cookery and Household Management that I got
> when I was living in England. It has a recipe for Steak and Kidney pie. It's a
> fairly modern recipe (about turn of the century) but if anyone wants it. Email me
> and I'll share.
>
> Lady Edlyn of Meadowburne
> Christine Krebs-Bonder, Dayton, OH

Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management dates roughly from the
Crimean War...wait, I just checked: 1861.

The main difference you'll probably find between S&K pie recipes is in
whether or not the filling is pre-cooked before putting it into the pie.
Some involve rolling the steak and the kidney in seasoned flour, placing
in the pastry, then adding hot stock through a hole in the crust before
putting it in the oven.

As Elysant (I think) suggested, mushrooms are optional, as are
hard-boiled eggs.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy