SC - Pea soup sugar peas question

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 19:45:24 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/3/99 9:27:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, acrouss at gte.net
writes:

<< 2. There are other cretonnee type recipes in the French corpus, including
 Taillevent.  Taillevent specifies to "cook them to mush and drain them".
 This doenst work if you're thinking of using the mange tout type peas..you
 never get the mush, and theres no squishing step to make them mush.

I follow your logic in the other steps that you laid down to support your
theory. However, I see the step above of cooking them to mush to be not so
much as a discription of the texture of the final product but rather a
guideline for the cook to be able to know when they are done. To put it
another way, we stick a fork in a carrot to see when it is tender. Could this
not be a similar thing? The cook is to test the product by fishing out a pea
and literally pressing on it? When it collapses under slight pressure (e.g.
gets mushy) it is done?

I don't really know. You may be right about this. You have certainly added
another expense to my garden seed order because now I must have all the
possible basic types of peas  so i can experiment to see which makes a better
product.  <sigh>

As I said before your redaction certainly does work and for the vast majority
of us , there really is no alternative as to what pea types to use. I for one
would be tickled pink to know I could use green shelled peas with abandon. I
would be the first one to say that I hope you are.

Ras