SC - ?OOP Taffy

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Fri Feb 5 09:27:12 PST 1999

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:

> >> BTW Taffy is also the nickname for a Welsh person - like myself!!! ;-)
> >Only if said Welsh person's name is David (Dafydd).
> >'Lainie
>
> Well no, its not only used for the name Dafydd. Its a general term people use
> these days to tease or label us.  I've been called it myself.
> Elysant

Ok,ok, please forgive me for looking at it too narrowly. I've been
following a close discussion of vowels and pronouns on the Anglo-Saxon net
(specifically where and when did we shift from ich and/or ye to a
capitalized I as a personal pronoun use- and no, I don't know the answer
and I got confused in all the argumentation!) and that I know of in the
14thc. (and likely earlier, but I don't know for sure) 'Taffy' was for
Dafydd. It likely did spread in meaning, esp. since Wales' patron St. is
St. David. But I'll try to pull me blinders off and shake out the vision a
little.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731