SC - re: Seafood Sources

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 7 20:19:22 PST 1999

Jgoldsp at aol.com wrote:

> Well I know you can get shad roe fresh in the late spring and early summer in
> New England as I have had it on the menu at various restaurants I have worked
> mostly European in nature. My guess is a good seafood or fish house i.e. store
> would be your best bet and as a side on the fish eggs in the wafers I think
> you need fresh roe not caviar as it is salted and processed and is probably
> to'hard" from the salt to break up the eggs, roe, to the consistency needed
> for a batter lumpy salty fish egg pieces well its not my cup of tea. Hope i
> have been helpful

Ayuh. FWIW, shad "run" in late February through most of March in rivers
on the East Coast of the US, and are available from West Coast fisheries
in May and through early June. For practical purposes it's the same
fish, though, which would not be the case of, say, Atlantic versus
Pacific cod.

As regards caviar, I'm inclined to agree with Joram, but point out that
caviar can be desalted to some extent, and might conceivably be used as
shortening or an enriching ingredient in a savory baked product like a
wafer. Salted fish eggs of various kinds will still behave, chemically,
in a way similar to hen's eggs, as, for example, in the batch of faux
taramosalata I once made to use up some salmon roe. The problem is that
it's preserved in salt, which changes the product over time in addition
to preserving it. I guess I'm trying to say that while it might do the
required job in some cases, it really won't be the same, any more than
prosciutto can be turned back into a fresh raw leg of pork by soaking it
in water.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy