SC - Insects-OOP

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Mon Feb 8 04:08:10 PST 1999

From: LrdRas at aol.com
<<Why? Insects are consumed with regularity and relish is not a few
non-European
derived cultures. Ants are very nice when roasted and grasshoppers have just
hint of shrimp in them. Of cultures descended from Eurpopean backgrounds,
Australia seems to be the only one that consumes insects in the form of
witchity grubs which I have never tasted but would jump at the opportunity
do so. >>

New Zealanders also. When I was about 12 or so I had huhu grubs at a hangi -
basically they're about an inch or two long and half an inch wide and look
like fat larvae (which is what they are, AFAIK). They were/are considered a
delicacy by the Maori. I was the only one there who was willing to try them
and ending up eating all of them as no-one else would. IIRC they were quite
juicy and sweet, and the outside was slightly crunchy. Probably the weirdest
thing I've eaten, but definitely tasty and I'd eat them again. My twin was
seriously grossed out though!

BTW a hangi is the native Maori method of cooking - dig a 4-5 foot pit, put
stones in it, build a fire, burn it, put food in damp flax baskets and
newspaper, fill the pit back in, leave for several hours, dig it back up and
voila! Dinner. They're only done for special occasions now. I think they
have something similar in Hawaii, no?

- - Lucretzia
Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com <mailto://thorngrove@geocities.com>  |
http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove <http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove>

"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536