SC - New pet peeve

geneviamoas at juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Thu Feb 11 17:37:57 PST 1999

From: LrdRas at aol.com
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:27:08 EST
Subject: SC - Catsup Recipe from Ras

There are MANY types of catsup recipes including Walnut, Apple, Crab
apple,
Elderberry, Grape, Plum, Pear, Tomato, Wild Currant and Mushroom. I am
assuming that Tomato Catsup is the recipe you requested. This one
originated
from my grandmother which is exactly the same as the one appearing in a
1920's
Kerr canning manual. I still call it 'Emma Mae's Catsup'  because I only
discovered the similarities to the Kerr recipe in the last couple of
years
after I obtained a copy of the canning manual at a yard sale for a dime.
:_).

Emma Mae's Catsup

1 peck (12 1/2 lbs) Ripe tomatoes
2 med Onions
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, ground
2 cps Cider vinegar
1 1/2 T Broken stick cinnamon
1 T Whole cloves
3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 cp Sugar
2 1/2 tsp Salt
1 T Paprika

Wash and slice tomatoes and boil about 15 mins. or until soft. In another
kettle slice the onions. Cover with a small amount of water and cook
until
tender Run the cooked tomatoes and onions through a sieve. Mix the onion
and
tomato pulp. Add the cayenne pepper Boil this mixture rapidly until it
has
been reduced to about 1/2 original volume.

Place vinegar in an enamaled pan and add a spice bag contianing the
cinnamon,
cloves and garlic. Allow this to simmer for about 30 mins., then bring to
the
boiling point. Place cover on pan and remove from fire. Allow this to
stand in
covered pan untilready to use.

When tomato mixture has cooked down to 1/2 its original volume, add
vinegar
mixture, of which there should be 1 1/4 cps. Add the sugar, salt, and
paprika
and boil rapidly untilthe desired consistency is reached. This should
require
about 10 mins. Pour while boiling hot into sterilized jars and seal.
Makes 6-8
pints.