SC - carrot pie + filo

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Feb 11 22:52:51 PST 1999

Lainie said:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> > Colors in ancient manuscripts are often faded and not true to type.
>
> With all due respect, Ras, it depends on the color, the pigment, the
> parchement, where it was stored, etc. Some colors fade worse than others.
> Some pigments turn black as they age. I can't find the book from my
> Light/Color Physics class, but I seem to remember that the orange/reds are
> not so likely to turn color. Colors with proteins (tempra, etc) in them
> are more likely to change than others. I suppose it would be easiest if we
> could see the rest of the document and compare other fruits and vegetables
> depicted there.

I think in this case I would be more concerned with the quality of the
pictures in the secondary source than the ageing of the period materials,
although that must always be considered. There was a recent discussion
on the SCA-Arts list about the real colors of the Bayeux Tapestry.
Apparently when someone compared a number of books showing the tapestry
there was a large span in the shades of various colors. In that one case,
there have been some efforts to index the colors of the tapestry to other
color sources, such as the DMC threads. And yes, that tapestry shows ome
ageing of the colors also.

For those who might want to investigate the Bayeux Tapestry colors further
these messages are in this file in the TEXTILE ARTS section of my
Florilegium:
Bayeux-Tap-msg    (30K) 10/30/98    The Bayeux Tapestry. Book reviews.

There are also the Renaissance paintings that recently had their overcovering
of yellowed varnish removed and turned out to be much more colorful than
many experts had been portraying them to be for years.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****