SC - Resources on Period Spanish Cooking

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Fri Feb 12 20:41:26 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 12 Feb 99,, that LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> <<  Although there are no recipes,
>  per se, the author does comment on various methods of preparing
>  food.  For example, he says that one cuts carrots in this way if
>  they are to be fried or pickled, but *this* way if they are to be
>  roasted in the ashes.   >>
>

> And which way is which? :-)
>
> Ras

::sigh:: Walked right into that one, didn't I?

What follows is a paraphrase, not a translation.

eaten raw: scraped clean, quartered.  Remove the core from each
quarter if the carrots are thick, otherwise leave it.  If they're long,
cut each quarter into two or three pieces.

roasted in the ashes: don't bother to scrape, as the "hairs" will burn
off; don't remove the core, since roasting renders it tasty.  Rub off
the burnt exterior with your hand -- not a knife -- after removing the
carrot from the ashes.

fried or pickled: no carving is necessary, since they arrive at the
table peeled and cut into pieces.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)