SC - Another Pea Recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Feb 13 14:25:13 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/13/99 1:53:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, THLRenata at aol.com
> writes:
>
> << These look like fresh shelled peas to me. How much is half a peck?  And did
>  the term "sweet butter" refer to unsalted butter as it does today?
>
>  Renata >>
>
> I think the term refers to the butter which was made from sweet cream insread
> of letting it ferment over night. This type of butter is what is available in
> most localities today and is, as you pointed out labeled as 'sweet butter ior
> sweet creamery butter. However, sweet butter comes both salted and unsalted in
> my area.
>
> So far as the pea recipe in concerned I think that I said at one point that
> there was aremote possibility that peas may have been used this way in early
> modern cookery in isolated areas such as northern Italy . Apparently it was
> done so also in England. My contention is still, based on the evidence we
> have, that peas were not so treated in France until at least 1681 C.E. I also
> still stand by my opinion that they were apparently not used in this manner
> during the Middle Ages.

"And it is my further opinion that Carthage should be destroyed..."

Um, I believe I must have missed or otherwise glossed over this back
when we were discussing it recently in re cretonnee of fresh peas. Ras,
would you mind going over the reasons you feel this to be the case? I
know many of us have seen this but do you think you might submit it
again? Or if people feel strongly about it maybe you could send
something privately... .

Lady Renata, I vaguely recall a peck is a quarter of a bushel or eight
quarts, so half a peck is one gallon volume measure. Big tart.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com