SC - My birthday present

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 17 07:57:34 PST 1999

snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:

> -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>
>
> In Wales we also had a man who came around sharpening knives and scissors and the like.  And
> although I lived in a rural area, we also had some interesting people who came to the door
> selling their wares.  In particular we had Indian salesmen who occasionally came to the
> door, completely outfitted in traditional Indian attire.  They sold things like silks,
> bracelets, etc.  And we also had a "peg man" who whittled "dolly pegs" (clothes pins).
> Usually "peg men (or women) were tinkers.

An interesting usage there...in the British Isles, tinkers are what most
of the world calls gypsys, and it seems to be a mostly pejorative term,
as far as I can tell. Whether or not it refers to the actual profession
of a tinker (or whether these tinkers are actually tinkers by
profession) is another question.

A tinker, of course, is someone who comes to your door to see if you
have any pots that need mending, and is, in theory, a perfectly
honorable profession.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --