SC - Re: Recipe from Murrell

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 17 14:41:50 PST 1999

Lucretzia wrote:
>By Gum-dragon I would say they mean Dragonsblood, which is  today and
>has been since ancient times, an East Indian shrub known as Dracoena
>draco, and the pigment is the dried resin sap of the plant.

I disagree.  Gum-dragon is gum tragacanth in modern life, and is used
in sugar paste recipes as part of the ingredients.  It is identified as
"a gum obtained from various Asian or Easst European leguminous plants
(genus Astragalus, esp. A. gummifer) that swells in water and is used
in the arts and in pharmacy."  It is not a pigment and has no coloring
of its own.  In modern gum paste, substitutions for gum tragacanth are
used such as gum karaya, which is cheaper, but has a slight pinkish
cast.

Alys Katharine