SC - Re: Babies and diapers

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 17 23:06:01 PST 1999

Lady Carllein commented:

> A record of the causes of accidental death in one medieval village in
> England showed a lot of infants dying in fires caused by chickens dropping
> or kicking straw into the central hearth while the parents were out in the
> fields.  (And no, I cannot remember the name of the book that was a study
> of causes of premature death, from which this comes.  It is a consistent
> problem with my memory that I remember tidbits, not sources.)  This
> suggested waste in the hovel, if not in the manor house.

I think I remember the comment. And I've got the book around here, somewhere.
The problem is locating it. The book was wonderful and by using various odd
records such as court records filled in many questions on childhood and later
stages in medieval life, especially the life of peasants. I remember it's
comments disproving the ideas of extended families. Most of the info was
drawn from records in England in a single century or two.

I will try to find the book and post the bibliographic info here.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****