SC - SC German Herbs, Spices, and Ingredients (long)

Maryann Olson maryann.olson at csun.edu
Thu Feb 18 19:38:59 PST 1999

At 05:15 PM 2/17/99 -0800, Elizabeth/Betty Cook wrote:

>Gertraud  (Maryann Olson) asks:
>>2) I am wondering what herbs and spices would have been used by different
>>personas in a meat pie for instance, that would tell others that they were
>>English, or German, or Italian, or whatever.  Being a German persona, I want
>>to be able to make something that is truly "German."  However, if I were to
>>choose to do "Italian," I would want to be true to that culture.
>
>French and English upper-class tend to be very similar, at least around
>14th-15th c. or so; given the history, that isn't surprising. Italian of
>the same period, judging by Platina, is similar but has some noticable
>differences; for example, he likes the combination mint-marjoram-parsley
>which I don't remember seeing in the English/French cuisine. I don't know
>German well enough to comment, but I expect other people on this list do.
>
>Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Greetings, unto thee, Elizabeth, and blessings upon thee for thy kind words
and encouragement.  I went home and pulled together my very rough notes from
Guter Spise and Sabrina Welserin, as well as a modern cookbook.  What
follows is very rough and has not been double-checked.  Please forgive me
for any errors -- and, please, anyone who finds errors, be sure to tell me
what they are so I can correct them.

German Herbs, Spices, and Ingredients

	        1345-
Name            1354    1553    Modern Notes

			        Noted:  Food is rarely
                                highly seasoned in
                                Germany.  (Ref. 1, p. xxii)

Almonds	          X	X	X
Almond Milk	  X	X	X
Sweet Almond Oil	X
Anise	          X	X	X
Apples	          X	X	X
Basil			        Used in Bavaria; however,
                                pepper is not used when
                                basil is.(1)
Bay Leaves			X
Borage			X
Caraway	        X	X
Caraway Seeds		X	X
Cardamom			X
Carrots	        X		X
Chard		X
Cheese		X
  Parmesan		X
Cherries	X	X	X
  Sour & Sweet	X	X	X
Cinnamon	X	X
Cloves	X	X	X
Cornflowers		X
Costmary		X
Datesd
Dill			X
Eggs		X	X
Elacampine		X
Elderflowers		X
Figs		X
Fresh Herbs		X
Galingale	X
Garlic	        X		Used sparingly, mainly in the
                                eastern regions.  The rest of
                                Germany may use it with mutton
                                and lamb and in sausages and
                                salamis. (1)
Ginger			X
Ginger Root	X	X	X
Grapes	        X	X	X
Grape Leaves		X
Ground Ivy		X
Hops	        X
Hyssop		X
Juniper Berries		X	Used in Swabia; otherwise
                                used in game dishes all
                                over Germany (1)
Kohlrabi			X
Lavender		X
Leeks	        X		X
Lemons		X	X
Lettuce		        X
Limes		X	X
Preserved Limes		X
Lovage			X
Mace	        X	X	X
Marjoram		X	Mainly in Bavaria (1)
Mint	                X	X
Mushrooms -
  Chanterelle		X
Mustard	        X	X	X
Nettles		        X
Nutmeg		        X	X
Onions			X       X
Oranges Bitter		X
  Orange Peel		X
Paprika		        X	Used in Bavaria and Prussia (1)
Parsley	        X	X	X
Pears/Preserves	X	X	X
Peas	        X	X
Pennyroyal	X
Pepper	        X	X	Pepper is used with
                                restraint.  White pepper
                                is preferred because it
                                is milder.  (1)
Peppercorns		X
Plums	        X	X	X
Quinces	        X	X
Raisins/
  Currants	X	X	X
Rosemary		X	Used with lamb and mutton
                                almost exclusively (1)
Saffron	        X	X
Sage	        X	X	X
Salt		        X	X
Savory			        X
Shallots	X
Spinach		        X
Strawberries		X	X
Tansy	        X
Tarragon			X
Tartar		        X
Thyme			        Used mostly in Bavaria
                                and East Germany (1)
Tragacanth		X

Pot Vegetables			Carrot, parsley root, parsnip,
  Root Vegetables		  leek, celeriac, onion,
                                  sometimes white turnip
				  Turnip is root vegetable most
                                  often eliminated, because
                                  it is too strong. (1)
Soup Greens			Parsley, celery leaves,
                                  with dill added after
			          cooking is finished (1)

Capon		        X
Chicken	        X	X	X
  w/out bacon		X
Goose	        X	X	X
Goose blood		X
Goose feet		X
Goose wings		X
Goose stomach		X
Goose neck		X
Goose liver		X
Quail		        X
Small Birds		X
Small wild Birds	X

Bacon	        X	X	X
Beef		X	X
Beef Marrow		X
Boar's Head		X
Calf Liver	X	X	X
Hare		X	X
Hare Blood		X
Lamb	        X	X	X
Lamb liver	X	X
Lamb caul	X	X
Pork	        X	X	X
Pork liver	X	X	X
Pork lungs	X	X
Veal		        X	X
Venison/Deer	X	X	X
Wild Game		X	X

Tongue		        X	X
Brain	        X	X	X
Kidney Suet		X

Bream		        X
Carp		        X
Cod/Dried		X
Crayfish		X
Eel	        X	X
Fish	        X	X	X
Lamprey	        X
Oysters		        X
Pike	        X	X
Selbingen		X
Trout		        X

Fats			        Pork lard, bacon, butter.
                                  In northern Germany and
                                  Swabia, rendered chicken,
                                   goose, and duck fats are
                                  also used. (1)
Olive Oil		X	Seldom used; considered exotic (1)

Butter		        X	X
Cream		        X	X
Milk		        X	X
Goat Milk	X

Honey		X	X
Sugar	        X	X	X
Rose Sugar		X

Rose Water	X	X	X
Wine		        X	X
Verjuice		X
Vinegar			        Unless otherwise stated,
                                white vinegar is used. (1)

Millet Groats	X
Flour		X	X
Rye Flour		X	X
Bread Crumbs		X	X
Semmel		        X	X
Rye Bread		X	X
Rice	        X	X	X

Ashes		        X
Caustic Lime		X
Hartshorn			X
Isinglass		X

1345-1354:  Daz Buoch von Guter Spise, the Household Manual of Michael de
Leone, proto-notary to the Archbishop of Wuerzburg, translated by Alia Atlas

1553:	Sabrina Welserin (also translated on-line by Alia Atlas, I think, but
I can't find confirmation in my copy)

(1)	Mimi Sheraton, The German Cookbook, "The German Kitchen"

Compiling this table made me aware of how rough the work is and in need of
being double-checked.

Gertraud