SC - SC German Herbs, Spices, and Ingredients (long)

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Fri Feb 19 21:08:52 PST 1999

>Sabrina Welserin.  Do you know which area of
>Germany she came from?  Since German cooking has regional differences today,
>I suspect it had them in period also.

The Welser family was prominent in Augsburg, that's in Swabia, a southern
part of Germany near Bavaria. It's hard to say anything definite about
differences in German cookbooks from different regions without more
evidence. Most of what I've seen is from southern Germany, including two
from the same family (the Welsers).

It's hard compare cookbooks from different centuries and say whether the
differences were due more to the time in which they were written or where
the author lived. All I can say is that I need more cookbooks and more time
to study them.

What about France and Italy? Anyone know when regional cuisines started
there, they certainly have them now.

Valoise