SC - [Mid] Vinegar info needed

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Feb 20 21:54:30 PST 1999

Greetings from Stefan li Rous,

>Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 07:51:27 -0800 (PST)
>From: Beth Montano <bethmontano at yahoo.com>
>Subject: [Mid] Vinegar info needed
>To: sca-middle at midrealm.org

<snip>
>I currently have 3 gallon jugs between 1/2 and 3/4 full of various
>types of fermenting (?) stuff (2 cider and 1 red).
>
>Two have been produced with store-bought mothers, and the third
>started on its own (if I had had an airlock handy, I would have
>continued the fermenting process and had some killer hard cider).
>
>The only book I have found on the subject is very basic, and goes into
>more detail about how to flavor vinegar after it is made.  I would
>have thought more of the wine books would have had at least a
>paragraph on vinegar, but no such luck.
>
>Public and private replies welcome.
>Margaret

For some more info on period vinegar and some referances, check this
file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
vinegar-msg       (28K) 10/ 1/98    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

This file in same section might also be of interest:
verjuice-msg      (33K)  8/ 3/98    Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****