OT Re: SC - Weslerin research

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Sun Feb 21 11:17:13 PST 1999

Sister Mary  asked:

>As one descended from Caribbean merchants with a great interest in Caribbean
>history, this intrigues me.  Can you tell me more, perhaps where in the
>Caribbean??? Many thanks!

It was in Santo Domingo in 1526, but that venture failed rather quickly.
Looking at my notes it looks like I pulled that information out of Hermann
Kellenbenz's article "Wirtschaftsleben der Blütezeit," in _Geschichte der
Stadt Augsburg: 2000 Jahre von der Römerzeit bis zur Gegenwart_. There
wasn't much in English on the Welsers, the The Cambridge Economic History
of Europe, Volume V: The Economic Organization of Early Modern Europe had a
bit. Since Carribean history wasn't the main thing I was looking for, I
don't know if there were other Germans invovled or not.

Valoise