SC - Re: Shellfish

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Tue Feb 23 15:36:52 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>> In Europe there is a tradition of not eating shellfish unless there is
>an >R in the month, and it is a fact that the PSP risk season is mainly
>from >May to August.
>>Tim

>The prohibition about eating shellfish in the 'non-R' months has to do
>with their breeding times, which are in the summer months.  From what you
>said about the toxins a female puffer fish exudes, the connection may
>well be sexual in nature.  (As, ultimately, so many things are ;)
>Christianna

The rule we have about not eating fish unless there's an R in the month also
extends to certain types of meat (pork in particular).  It's a sort of "wise
rule" that's handed down from mother to daughter about when it is considered
safe to cook certain things, and as far as I was ever told it was because the
lower "R month" winter temperatures kept meat/fish etc. safe to eat, whereas
you ran the risk of becoming ill as the food would spoil quicker in the
"non-R" months.  I have not heard about it being connected to breeding times
of fish.   :-)

Elysant