SC - [Fwd: [Apicius] must cakes & doughnuts]

Wed Feb 24 16:22:48 PST 1999

> From: 	Marilyn Traber[SMTP:margali at 99main.com]
>
> this is from a followup post, i donty have the book she refers to so i
> dont know
> how it stacks up in the grand scheme of documentation

Giacosa's "A Taste of Ancient Rome" seems to be a good source.  It contains
a number of the Apician recipes and recipes from other Roman works, in this
case Cato's On Agriculture.

The recipe and translation from Giacosa are:

Globi

Globos sic facito.  Caseum cum alica ad eundem modem misceto.  Inde quantos
voles facere facito.  In abenum caldum unguen indito.  Singulos aut binos
coquito versatoque cerbro duabus rudibus, coctos eximito, eos melle unguito,
papaver infriato, ita ponito.

Make globes thus:  Mix together equal amounts of cheese and alica.  Then
shape (the globes) as large as you like.  Drop them in hot fat in a copper
pan.  Cook one or two at a time, turning them often with two paddles.  When
they are cooked, remove, cover them with honey, sprinkle with poppy, and
serve thus.

Giacosa refers to globi as fritters, suggest making them of flour and
ricotta, and says that frying them in lard is the traditional method of
cooking.  The glossary defines "alica" as semolina or coarsely ground spelt.

I suspect what we have here are cheesy hushpuppies made with wheat meal
rather than corn meal.  Regular flour very likely makes the end product too
dense.  Cooking in olive oil rather than lard likely makes them soggy.  I
don't see any need for leavening if you are using coarse meal and hot fat.

If I have some time this weekend, I may grind up some wheat I have sitting
around and see what a coarse meal does for this recipe.

Oh yeah, the root of globi and globule is "globus," meaning ball or sphere.

Bear