SC - Melons.

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sat Feb 27 03:56:27 PST 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Alderton, Philippa <phlip at morganco.net>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 27. febrúar 1999 04:24
Subject: Re: SC - Melons.

>Where's the entry in Platina? I'm using him for my main source. Am I
missing
>something, are they called by another name, or have my glasses been
infested
>by the Creative Punctuation which I've just (with a little help from my
>friends ;-) cured my computer of?

My source for this is Gastronomy of Italy, by Anna del Conte. She says:

"Platina has a long entry in which he praises the tastiness of the fruit,
but warns against it being "cold and damp" and therefore indigestible. For
this reason he suggests that it should be eaten at the beginning of the meal
and followed by a drink of good wine, this being "an antidote to its rawness
and frigidity.""

Pepone is an alternative Italian name for melon, directly from Latin pepon
(ripe), also the source of English pumpkin.

Nanna