SC - Bread

Fri Jan 1 10:26:12 PST 1999

Devra at aol.com wrote:

> I believe that 'single cream' would be equivalent to our 'light cream',
> although I also understand that certain breeds of cow (notably the Jersey
> actually found on the Isle of Jersey) naturally give cream much thicker and
> richer than we are accustomed to here.
>
> 'Double cream', thus, would refer to 'heavy' or 'whipping' cream.
>
> Devra the Baker

Certainly this is the case in Australia. I understand our normal cream
is the equivalent of US heavy/double cream. Normal cream for us is, IIRC
35% fat.  Sour cream the same.

I don't know that you could even get the equivalent of King Island Cream
which is something like 55% fat - wicked stuff so thick your spoon
stands upright in it.

I too would love to find the recipe for clotted cream - it is just so
very moreish. All the mouthfeel and taste of thick cream, but not as
cloyingly rich.

Ah well, why don't I look it up!  And here is what I found:

      Title: CLOTTED CREAM PART 1
 Categories: Desserts
      Yield: 1 serving

     Clotted cream is a traditional product of South West England and
the traditional farmhouse method of manufacture is as follows:

  1.  Channel Island milk is placed in shallow pans or bowls and left
until the cream rises to the top.

  2.  The milk is then scalded for about one hour by placing the pan or
bowl over a pan of water maintained at a temperature of about 180^F
(82^C).

  3.  The cream is ready when it is straw colored and wrinkled in
appearance. It is then cooled overnight or for about twelve hours.

  4.  When cool the cream should be skimmed off the surface using a
perforated skimmer or a shallow spoon.

  5.  If the skimmed cream is left in the refrigerator for a few hours
it will thicken further.

     Alternatively, clotted cream can be made using the direct scald
method. Double cream is placed in shallow pans or bowls and scalded as
for the traditional method.  After scalding and cooling the whole
contents of the pan are used as clotted cream.

  Source:  "Farmhouse Kitchen", based on the Independent Television
series, presented by Dorothy Sleightholme. Published by Yorkshire
Television
  Centre, Leeds LS3 IJS, c Trident Television, Ltd., 1976

  From the Recipe Files of:  Deidre-Anne Penrod, FGGT98B on Prodigy,
  J.PENROD3 on GEnie
  per Karen Mintzias

Just my 2c to add to the moneybox.