SC - Coronation saga

melc2newton@juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Mon Jan 4 12:18:48 PST 1999

> I do not have primary source, but the
> one I read said the receipt originally was in the notebooks of a
> late-16th-Century Italian nun, Maria Teresa Somethingorother (it's not
> here).  The name of the item is "Drowned Chiambelle" (sp may be off) and
> they really are like miniature bagels seasoned with anise.  Quite yummy,
> and
> not sweet.
>

> ---= Morgan

IIRC, that should be "Ci", since c followed by a vowel is sounded "ch".

Ciambelle is a round cake with a hole in the center.  Ciambellette are
basically doughnuts.  A quick search turned up the following:

http://www.tower.org/rose/food.html

The Ciambellette recipe is a non-period redaction of a recipe from
Bartolomeo Scappi's Cvoco Secreto di Papa Pio Quinto.

I think there is another recipe of dubious quality in Renaissance Recipes
(?).

Bear