SC - duck and beaver recipes

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jan 4 15:39:46 PST 1999

Stefan!

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I've got some period recipes for duck in this file in my Florilegium. :-)
>
> duck-goose-msg    (12K)  4/24/98    Cooking duck and goose. Recipes.
>
> But I don't think I have any Beaver recipes. Anyone have any period
> beaver recipes?
> --

This Duck is not going anywhere near your kitchen! (Put down that cleaver
and come out quietly...) And my goose is cooked all too frequently- I'm a
grad student and single mom and life, as a rule, is hell.

But beavers? Well, one of my favorite beastiary books, _Medieval
Bestaries: Text, Image, Ideology_, by Debra Hassig, has a whole chapter on
beavers. And she reports that Gerald of Wales says that beaver tails were
eaten by monks, who believed that they weren't really animals, but a kind
of fish. Gerald himself wasn't convinced of this, but that was the way it
was.

So monks ate beaver tails. And the secular ate?.... Oh dear! Lets not go
there! Wouldn't be prudent!

laughing so hard my eyes are wet,
'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731