SC - Next Pennsic-OT-OOP-IMPORTANT

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 5 03:49:46 PST 1999

>>  A reasonable attempt at pre-17th century dress for the landed nobility of
>>  European medieval or renaissance culture, or a visitor that adapted to that
>>  culture,
>
>Hmmm,
>Whose idea of the dream are we talking about?

Not mine obviously.  I am not what one could call an authenticity cop.  I'm
more of the opinion that if someone makes an attempt, it should pass since
they made an attempt.  If I see someone in one of those (gasp) bellydancing
outfits I don't make no comment about it and I certainly wouldn't dream of
barring them from an event.  Tis a common misconception that that sort of
stuff is period and if they made an attempt, it's good enough for me.
Hmmmmmm, the next feast here is Camel Feast.....I'll make it a bellydance
outfit allowed event I think.  I'm all for barring the Leather bondage
things and people wearing next to nothing, but I think it's getting a
little bit over the top trying to barr bellydancing gear (in some cases)
and limiting the choice to pre 17th century European Nobility  or adapted
visitor.  What about Vikings? and other such cultures.  Limiting it to
European is like saying that that was the only culture around at the time,
which most certainly is NOT true.

Just my 2c worth
- -Sianan