SC - Pine Nut Confection -- One Last Time

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Tue Jan 5 12:32:45 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/5/99 12:00:43 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
snowfire at mail.snet.net writes:

>  I have a question or two - to start with, where did period cooks get their
>  salt from?  Did they use sea salt? Or was it manufactured somewhere?

All salt used in cooking (i.e. natural sodium chloride) is sea salt.  Just
some of the deposits are a bit older than others.  Salt is mined, not
manufactured.  To call an ingredient "sea salt" is redundant and pretentious.
What I have seen sold in health food stores is simply ground finer than good
old Morton's.  Some commercial products do have iodine added, since studies in
the thirties indicated that iodine in the diet helps reduce the risk of
goiter.

Mordonna
Barony and Kingdom of Atenveldt