SC - Hi!

marcharit@juno.com marcharit at juno.com
Tue Jan 5 13:19:40 PST 1999

<snip>
>Let's look at some of the woodcuts Cindy has put up, and see what we can
>see?
>what the h**l is the URL fr those pictures, again?
<snip>

Hello!  The url is http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html
I have several pictures of bakers with peels, some of which are posted on
Greg's site.  I'll refer to them here by their file names so you'll know
which ones I mean - not all of these are posted on Greg's site. If you want
copies, email me.

The 'Assize of bread' picture  shows a peel made of a pole with a
'home-plate'-shaped board attached to the end.  The flat part is big enough
for at least 2 large raised pies (maybe 15 inches wide).

'Baker 3' (from Liber de Assisa Panis, 1293 -- admittedly a crude picture),
has a peel that may be carved all in one piece.  Again, it is squared-off,
like 'home-plate'. The flattened end looks very small, about 6 to 8 inches
wide, enough to fit one loaf.

'Baker 4' (from Eygentliche Beschreibun Aller Stande auff Erden, 1568) uses
a peel with a round flat end.  It is wide enough to fit one large loaf
(maybe 12 inches), just wide enough to fit in the narrow oven door.

'Baker 1' (from the Shepherd's Great Calendar, 15th c.) has a peel with a
rectangular flat end.  It holds 8 small loaves & again is slightly narrower
than the oven door, maybe 8 to 12 inches wide.

'Large Kitchen' (from Il Cuoco Segreto di Papa Pio V, 1570) shows a peel
leaning against the far wall.  It is clearly made of 2 pieces -- a long
pole, split at one end & attached to a broad (paddle-shaped) flat piece.

'Street Bakers' uses a stubby peel.  From the angle at which she is holding
it, it may well be a shovel serving double-duty, or some type of hook --
the picture is unclear.

There are also at least 6 pictures of peels in the back of The Medieval
Health Handbook (Tacuinam Sanitatis) in the b/w section.

The Four Seasons of the House of Cerruti (another version of Tacuinam
Sanitatis) has the biggest-bladed peels of all, with oval ends that fit 2
large loaves.

I searched high & low for a picture I saw of a baker with a dish fastened
to the end of his peel -- the BROAD end, btw. But I can't find it.  The
filling was poured into the dish & used to quickly fill coffins that were
already baking in the oven, so that the oven would not lose too much heat.

My dictionary says the word 'peel' comes into ME from MF from the Latin
'pala', meaning shovel.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net