SC - Re: Pine Nut Confection -- One Last Time

Tue Jan 5 16:13:28 PST 1999

Greetings Morwenna -

I am new to the list, but I do bake a bit of bread.  All I can say regarding
the switch of water and milk without having seen the original recipe is that
the milk should make the flavor richer still.  Adding dry milk could have made
up for the loss.  A number of my OOP recipes call for it.  In fact, I like the
use of dry milk so much that its presence in a recipe nearly guarantees that
i'll try it.  Otherwise, wet milk has enough sugar (read the carbs on the
label) that a quantity as large as a cup would influence the reaction of the
yeast to some degree.  If you would post the recipe again or to me privately,
A.) I'd love to try it, and B.) I'd have a better idea what the switch would
have done.  If the recipe also calls for tiny quantities of sugar and salt,
the difference becomes more negligible.  It does sound as though it turned out
well, regardless.

Katarin