SC - My First feast, the continuing story...

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Jan 6 12:03:11 PST 1999

Stacie wrote:

> mine call for water, sugar, yeast and flour, substituting the sugar for
> honey.
> letting it set (stirring daily) for 10 days....I've thought about using
> buttermilk instead of water but I am not sure how that would turn out..

One thing to consider is that if your starter is full of lactobaccili or
acidophilus, or whatever the bugs in buttermilk are, it may not behave
properly in re the development of wild yeasts. Bacteria have been known
to defend their populations and territory against encroachers, like many
other life forms. Your bread _might_ not rise at all, depending on conditions.

But I bet it would be sour, all right!

Adamantius, on the fly
- --
Phil & Susan Troy