SC - Visions of Sugar Plums?

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Wed Jan 6 18:58:54 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/6/99 5:46:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, grasse at mscd.edu
writes:

<< (Who probably should have kept on lurking and not upset the "can", but is
 not willing to discount 30+ years of German.) >>

I'm not questioning your interpretation of the modern German. What I was
questioning was whether those terms in modern German are the same terms used
in the original language manuscript. Also what is the history of the modern
German terms? Is there a OED for German , so to speak, that can be consulted
and the results shared?

That Zitrone is the modern German term for lemon is not at issue. What I was
wondering is if that fruit was sugessted in the original manuscript. Since the
term comes from the Latin 'citron (lemon) your view point has merit. However,
one of the things that makes this difficult for me personally to wade through
is that Toussant-Samat says of limes, "The lime, a small green lemon, was
introduced into the West Indies by the Spanish in the sixteenth century'. I
have also read the lime described in several other sources as  'a lemon with a
green skin'.

Given your post, I have no doubt that lemons and limes were differentiated in
early modern cookery (e.g. post 1450 C.E.) but is there any evidence that can
be found that would indicate such a differentiation in medieval cookery? That
is what I would find most interesting.

Ras