SC - Atlantian 12th Night

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 19:37:47 PST 1999

<< The original was quadrupled so I of course quartered the
 recipe ( especially for a first try) anyways when I was in the middle of
 it I realized that that I had used 1 cup water instead of the 1/4 cup it
 should have been so instead of 1 cup milk I used 1/4 cup.  Well the
 question is I know the amount of liquid total was correct but would the
 reversal ( ie boo boo) I made affect the overall taste/ consistency?
 The bread is great but I am curious if correcting the boo boo would make
 it better?  Is it six of one and half a dozen of the other?  Or does the
 original have 1 cp milk 1/4 water ratio for a reason?  Woul appreciate
 any thoughts ( my brain has been tossing this back and forth with no
 success all day)

 Thanks Bunches! >>

Well, the original mistake was mine.  When I first enlarged the recipe, I
quadrupled ALL the measurements, including the amount of water for proofing
the yeast (1/2C x 4 = 2C).  Believe me, this is too much!  Using this much
water necessitated adding a lot more flour to get the right texture, and it
seemed to not taste quite as nice.  Therefore, I cut the proofing water by
half (2C / 2 = 1C) which
seems to be plenty.

What it seems that you did was to substitute the amount of milk for the amount
of water.  This probably made the loaf a little less rich-tasting.  Here are
the original proportions from James Beard

1C rolled oats
1C boiling water

2 pkgs dry yeast
1 tspn granulated sugar
1/2 C warm water

1C warm milk
1 Tblspn salt
1/4 C dark brown sugar
4--5 C all-purpose flour, approx

The small amount of powdered ginger is a suggestion from  Favorite Breads From
Rose Lane Farm.  The author feels that it 'warms up the yeast'.

Anyway, I'm glad that you enjoyed the bread.

Devra