SC - Re: Eat well, well to do?

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Sun Jan 10 09:52:40 PST 1999

At 22:26 9-1-99 -0500, Brenna wrote:
>I met two delightful ladies from England while on a cruise in Dec who told
me an
>incredible thing.  They said that while their American husbands hunt deer,
and
>they prepare the venison for their families to eat, they don't eat it
themselves.
>They never aquired a taste for it because in England only the royal family
may eat
>deer.  Anyone know if this is true or if they were just pulling my leg?  They
>sounded very sincere about it.

Don't know about England, but while I was living in Scotland I saw at least
one store (near Inveraray) that sold venison....

And at 01:33 10-1-99 -0500, Master Adamantius responded:
>Certainly it was true under the first Norman kings of England that most
>of the forests of England were relegated to being the King's personal
>hunting  preserve, so no one outside of royal hunting parties could
>legally hunt in, say, for a common example, Sherwood Forest in
>Yorkshire. (It is in Yorkshire, isn't it?), without the proper
>permission. Ever see those Robin Hood movies where people are charged
>with poaching the King's Deer?

Sherwood is in Nottinghamshire.  That's why Robin had to worry about the
Sheriff of Nottingham. 8)

Alasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable