SC - Re: Eat well, well to do?

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 13:01:52 PST 1999

>Brenna wrote:
>> They never aquired a taste for it because in England only the royal
family may eat
>> deer.  Anyone know if this is true or if they were just pulling my
leg?  They
>> sounded very sincere about it.

>Certainly it was true under the first Norman kings of England that most
>of the forests of England were relegated to being the King's personal
>hunting  preserve, so no one outside of royal hunting parties could
>legally hunt in, say, for a common example, Sherwood Forest in
>Yorkshire. (It is in Yorkshire, isn't it?), without the proper
>permission. Ever see those Robin Hood movies where people are charged
>with poaching the King's Deer?
>
>Whether or not this policy was ever repealed, or if it just stopped
>being enforced, or even if it is still in effect, I don't know. Haven't
>British deer been hunted more or less to extinction anyway?

>Adamantius
>--
>Phil & Susan Troy

Straight from the Brit's mouth (my other half Peter)- yes, it is still
illegal to hunt deer (on Queen's land) because 1.) old laws still on
the books and 2.)near extinction.  they had some problems years back
before they moved part of one of the herds right outside Buckingham
because the deer were running out in front of the cars-how do you
charge an innocent motorist with killing a queen's deer?They tried
fines, but the motorists were the innocents.

Elisabeth the Terrible/Shari

"Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
     minutus carborata descendum pantorum."
     --  (A little song, a little dance,