SC - AlLittle kitchen humor-oop-ot

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 13:37:24 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/8/99 8:25:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, Mordonna22 at aol.com
writes:

<< I think the sugar is just for taste, and to kill some of the
 bitterness of spinach.

 Mordonna >>

I routinely add 1 tsp of sugar to all 2 cps of vegetables when I cook them. It
not only takes care of any bittereness but also seems to 'freshen' the
vegetable somewhat giving it a closer taste to just picked.

Although sugar is used in a lot of non-dessert type period recipes, it's use
was as a seasoning, IMO. I find that the addition of sugar in a lot of those
recipes, if constrained by the 1 tsp sugar per 2 cps main ingredient idea does
improve the flavor considerably without imparting any real noticeble sweetness
to the dish.

Ras