SC - Period Scottish Source?

Acanthusbk@aol.com Acanthusbk at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 13:28:40 PST 1999

Margo Hablutzel wrote:

> A period blancmanger involved the white meat of chicken, cooked and smushed
> up, with cream and some other things.  The idea is to keep it all very pale,
> even while ("blanc") as much as possible.  I'll try to remember to bring in
> the reference.

Recipes vary from source to source, but I believe the most common
elements until rather late in period are capon or chicken boiled to make
a broth, almonds steeped in the broth to make almond milk, rice cooked
in the broth to a nearly homogeneous thick porridge, and the hashed meat
of the chicken or capon stirred in. Usually garnished with fried almonds
or pomegranite kernels.

Later versions, some post-period, include heretical stuff like cream.
Actually, I don't recall seeing anything involving cream unless one were
to make some of the 17th-century white pudding recipes, and remove them
from the casings...really late blancmangers often increase the almond
content as the main thickener.

But then, I presumably haven't seen every blancmanger recipe in existence.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com