SC - Fw: HERB - Decent Beginners Book

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Tue Jan 12 15:04:08 PST 1999

His Highness Gunter wrote regarding a new Laurel in cooking:

>He is just beginning to discover period foods and hopefully he will
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^             ^^^^^^^^^^^^  (^^ are mine)
>now pursue them more fervently. He is a very good cook.

This is meant as an observation only, not a judgment or anything
negative... Each kingdom does things differently!

In the Middle, cooking Laurels have to be skilled at period cooking
_before_ they are considered for elevation.  I recall clearly the
_40-minute-long_ discussion of one candidate who is an excellent cook
but who had not demonstrated her/his mastery of cooking from period
sources to the satisfaction of one (or more) cooking Laurels who were
present at the meeting. The non-cooks who were present loved her/his
food but those with cookery knowledge were insisting that s/he
demonstrate knowledge of period foods, what substitutions might (or
might not) be made, reasonably accurate redactions of recipes by the
candidate, etc.

I don't think I'm telling "State" secrets but the Laurels here
frequently ask potential candidates to provide something for the Laurel
meeting at Pennsic, for example, or for the Royalty Room at large
events where peerage meetings will be held.  That way more Laurels can
sample the foods, look at any documentation that is provided, etc, and
(not the least) get food to eat!  :-)  Cooking for the Laurels isn't a
guarantee of peerage but it is one way to be "seen" in a large kingdom
such as the Middle.

Alys Katharine (Laurel for "cooking research", not cooking.  I can't
cook in "bulk"!)