SC - Period Chili

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 05:43:56 PST 1999

"Decker, Margaret" wrote:

> Does anyone out there have a period recipe for a meat dish similar to the
> chili found in Ansteorra in heat. Perhaps something from the Mediterranean
> area. Thank you in advance.

Hate to beat dead chuck here, but I'm adding my name to the list of
those who haven't seen a period recipe such as you describe.

You might investigate some of the early period recipes for chicken in
cumin sauce (presumably one without almond milk would be best for the purpose).

Another possibility, but definitely in the peri-oid class, would be a
Romanoid pork or veal stew (the Romans tended not to eat beef, it was
considered gross) with sauce ingredients to include cumin, oregano, and
a lot of black pepper. Garlic is also problematical for a Roman recipe;
it appears virtually nowhere in Apicius, IIRC. Leeks, maybe?

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy