SC - Interkingdom Anthropology??

Boogie boogie at softdisk.com
Wed Jan 13 19:10:25 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/13/99 6:54:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
melc2newton at juno.com writes:

<< I am in the planning stages of an age of exploration event, I was
 wondering if anyone had any documentable New world foods that were
 influenced by English, French, Dutch,Spainish, Or Portuguese Cuisine
 Circa 1492-1650.>>

The English drank chocolate, The Italians ate corn (as in the New World kind,
mais), Europe discovered the potato (although they had a tendency to feed them
to the animals!) and a Venetian ambassador to Spain, Andrea Navagero was among
the first to eat one himself.  He was in Spain from 1524-1528 and wrote home
to a friend saying they tasted like chestnuts.  Some good references for these
would be Venice and Food by Sally Spector, 1998 (has a great bibliography,
too!  more than I could list here).  Tomatoes didn't make it to Italy until
the very end of the 16th century (The Italian Pantry by Anna del Conte, 1990),
so I'm not sure you would want to use them, although I guess you could.  :o)

<<Also what kinds of Old world foods were really Chic in
 this time period. The stuff the Heads of state would serve at Black tie
 type banquets. The Feast will be a combination of New and Old world
 foods. >>

I think it would depend on which country since foods were VERY different
regionally.  I've been looking at Italian and Venetian food in particular
recently (cantcha tell?), but have studied several....  If you give me a hint,
I'll pull out my books!  :o)  Sounds like a really cool idea for a
banquet/feast!  Have fun.....

Lady  Giuglia Madelena Sarducci