SC - Re: Petits Propos Culinaires (PPC)

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 14 10:17:30 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/14/99 11:16:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
memorman at oldcolo.com writes:

<< the East and Atlantia seem
 to have the highest expectations for both quality and historicity.  You
 are a lucky man, Ras.

 Elaina >>

I would like to include Aethelmearc on that list, if I may. I know that I am
lucky to be living in a Kingdom where good food is appreciated. In fact, you
can almost be assured of a very good feed in any number of shires both here in
Aethelmearc and in the East. My first criteria for going to an event is
whether the menu is an attempt at period food. If it isn't , I don't go to
that event, period.

While non-period dishes are occasionally served, it is very rare to see
blatantly non-period food items served here although, I agree that soups and
stews are more often than not just good hearty concoctions of whatever is at
hand. Given that we have few if any period recipes that remotely resemble what
we think of as stews and soups, this is excuseble, IMO. OTOH, corn, potatoes
and green beans are really unnecessary distractions considering the humdreds
of period recipes available.

In areas where people want good food , period or not, a good start would be to
eliminate the use of Fabulous Feasts as a source of recipes. Intermingling
good period redactions with comfort food and slowly replacing non-period with
period can do a lot to change people's minds about the edibility of period
food. :-)

Ras (who is dil;igently redacting recipes from al-Baghdadi for his totally
period Middle Eastern feast in May now that his Murri naqi is finished. :-))