SC - Period Chili

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Thu Jan 14 14:50:24 PST 1999

Shari Burnham wrote:

> does anyone have a list of the other capsicum peppers?  or if it is in Stefan's
> files?  and which are period?

As far as I know, differences are varietal between relatively few
species. Basically there are sweet (i.e. Bell, and perhaps those long
Italian frying peppers) and hot peppers, and a few, like paprikas, that
could be classed somewhere in between. I recall reading somewhere that
while there are dozens of different chili pepper varieties, they're all
basically varieties of the same species. All are New World, and while
they may have taken hold in different places at different times, there
doesn't appear to have been any significant production or usage anywhere
on the Eurasian landmass prior to the late 16th century.

I don't think you'll find them in any French or English recipes until
the 18th century or so.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy