SC - Sources for Verjuice

Scott Wilkerson scottw at gsbfac.uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 15 08:03:03 PST 1999

Greetings from Jin Liu Ch'ang,

I remember, sometime back, on this list their was a discussion on period breeds of livestock.  With that in mind, I noticed an article in my local newspaper on Sunday (Bryan-College Station Eagle, Sunday, January 10, 1999) attributed to the Temple Daily Telegram (TX) named "Big state slow to adopt small cattle breed - Dexter livestock raised for both meat and milk production, advocates say".  In this article they describe a breed of cattle called Dexter cattle which are described as the "world's smallest breed".  These cattle, which stand about 3-3 1/2 feet tall and weigh an average of 750 lbs., are along with another related breed, the Kerry, described as descended from the predominantly black cattle of the early Celts.  The breed, first noted in 1776 but are felt to have existed well before that sighting, are an integral part of Ireland's Kerry cattle breed.

I felt that some people on this list might be interested as their hardy, small size and versatility (use as both a milk and meat) would make them ideal for people who might be thinking of growing their own for SCA use.  They are described as easy to care for, give birth easy and are long lived.  The article went on to give further  information on the breed (milk, etc.).

Jin Liu Ch'ang
m.k.a. Norman White
gn-white at tamu.edu