SC - Frumenty Recipes

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Fri Jan 15 17:10:35 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

In Wales we have a tradition of mashing things together as a dish or
side dish:

In North Wales this is known as "Stwns".  for example:

	"Stwns Rwdan a Iau" (liver and onions, served with swedes and
	                   potatoes mashed up together)

	"Stwns ffa" (potatoes and broad beans mashed together)
	"Stwns pys" (potatoes and peas mashed up together)

In South Wales the swede and potato combination is known as "potch"
so we have "Potch Erfyn" (potatoes and Swedes mached up together)

	NOTE: In America swedes or "erfyn" as they're known in Welsh
	      are "Rutabagas", and originally I dare say turnips were
              used instead of potatoes in these dishes).

In and around London there is a popular "Cockney" dish served for
breakfast which is combined like this also it's called "Bubble and
Squeak" which is composed of potatoes mashed up with peas and cabbage
and fried.  Usually it's eaten for breakfast.

I wonder if anyone has heard of any other cultures with this type of
traditional "mashed up together" combination dish?

Is it a Celtic thing, whether in Cockney London or Wales?  Is it
commonly done?  And I wonder where and when it originated - if it's
possible to sort that out!

Any ideas?

Elysant