SC - cooking classes on period foods

Diana L Skaggs/prsnl/busfin/Okstate diana_l_skaggs/prsnl/busfin/okstate_at_okstate at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Jan 15 06:52:30 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/15/99 2:57:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< Charles Perry made some a few months back; he says it tastes somewhat like
 soy sauce.

 David Friedman >>

Thank, Your Grace. The fake version is also in the same league as soy sauce
also. Now my curiosity is really in full gear to see what subtle differences
there are between the fake and real stuff.

I made the the mistake of stepping away from the stove for a little while
while boiling the Byzantine murri and it bubbled out of the pot and ran all
down the sides of the pan but other than that I am very pleased with the final
product. At the very least it opens up whole new doors in my on going project
of redacting recipes from al-Baghdadi. One of the most intriguing things was
that despite the amount of honey used over all , the finished murri is not
what I would call sweet. Salty but not sweet. The flavor is surprisingly good
and I suspect that murri will find it's way into my modern cooking also. :-)

Ras