SC - source for Salsify

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Sat Jan 16 06:12:16 PST 1999

Master A, your suppositions about Salsify appear to be accurate. I found this
in the Visual Food Encyclppedia:

"Although known in southern Europe for more than 3000 years, salsify was not
cultivated until the 17th century. It was introduced into North America by the
Pilgrims, but remains relatively unknown even today."

Also anyone working with Salsify might consider the fact that it blackens on
contact with the air after being peeled and cut. To prevent this they should
be plunged into vinegar or lemon water or boiled for 15 mins. before peeling
and preparing them.

Helen, given the above info, I would recommend preparing the vegetable in
advance for long term storage in the freezer. My apologies for not remembering
this in my earlier post as I normally automatically use Friut Fresh or
ascorbic acid baths for all my fruits and vegetables when processing them and
it completely slipped my mind. :-0

Ras