SC - Sumac?

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Sun Jan 17 12:00:35 PST 1999

Daniel Phelps wrote:

> Regarding "The 12th Century Yorkish Hole"  Suffice it it say that when you
> combine a fit of pique, a soupcon of whimsy, and really good documentation
> of an obscure period object you get results which can be quite outre'.  In
> my case "The Excavations at York; The Viking Dig" by Richard Hall, 1984 The
> Bodley Head, London, ISBN 0-370-30802-6 has on page 127 plate 153 a picture
> in situ of  "Twelfth-century toilet seat fallen into a cess pit."  In
> approximately 15 pages I document in exhaustive detail the hole in the plank
> and my reconstruction of it.   It was in essence a study of documentation.

Ooohhhh, flashbacks!

I'm put in mind of an event I autocratted many years ago (14 or so) in
which Master Alric Bowbreaker, O.L. and then seneschal of the East,
submitted to the A&S competition a period artifact with exhaustive
documentation on constrcution and usage of the artifact. The entry was
entitled "The Rock in the Middle Ages".

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --