SC - New pet peeve

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sun Jan 17 21:29:28 PST 1999

> in which a 16th-century Englishman is quoted as saying that
> the people of Spain use tomatoes in a sauce "as we do mustard."
>
> Alasdair mac Iain

"In Spaine and those hot regions they use to eate the Apples prepared and
boiled with pepper, salt and oyle:  but they yeeld very little nourishment
to the body, and the same naught and corrupt."  -- Gerard's Herball

I suspect this excerpt is part of the quote to which you are referring.  It
is the only one I remember about how tomatoes were eaten.  IIRC, the date is
1596.

The first botanical description of the tomato is Italian, written by
Pierandrea Mattioli in 1544.  He originally referred to tomatoes as "mala
aurea" or golden apple, but later used the term "mala insana" or unhealthy
apple.

Bear