SC - Bruet of Sarcynesse

Margo Farnsworth margokeiko at esslink.com
Tue Jan 19 00:14:21 PST 1999

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:43:47 -0500 "Margo Farnsworth"
<margokeiko at esslink.com> writes:

>------=_NextPart_000_00D3_01BE405A.C8D9BDE0
>
>Greetings,
>I am new to this list, let me first introduce myself.  I am
>Faoiltighearna Inghean Mhic Guarre living in the Barony Beyond the
>Mountain in the East Kingdom.  I first became involved in period
>cooking when we decided to have a period encampment.  The majority of
the
>period cooking I do is over the open fire.
>
>My question:  Does anyone know of a source for period sausage
>recipies?  I have searched through my books and have found none.  Also,
the
>sausage recipies I have found on the internet either do not have dates
or do
>not refer to documentation.  I am helping with a Scottish feast next
>month, and we are going to make haggis and oxford sausages, unless I can
find
>more authentic items to make.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Faoiltighearna

I did find the following in my collection. Enjoy.

>From the Twelfth Night Feast In The Crown Province of Østgardr, East
Kingdom
A.S. XXIX (A.D. 1995) by Phil Troy (Gideanus Adamantius)
	Venisoun Sauseges with Compote
	“Compot. Take rote of persel, of pasternak, of rafens, scrape hem
and waische hem clene. Take rapes and caboches, ypared and icorue. Take
an erthen panne with clene water and set it on the fire; cast alle þise
þerinne. Whan þey buth boiled cast thereto peeres, & perboile hem wel.
Take alle þise thynges vp & lat it kele on a faire cloth. Do þerto salt;
whan it is colde, do hit in a vessel; take vyneger & powdour & safroun &
do þerto, & lat alle þise thynges lye þerin al nyzt, oþer al day. Take
wyne greke & hony, clarified togider; take lumbarde mustard & raisouns
coraunce, al hoole, & grynde powdour of canel, powdour douce & aneys
hole, & fenell seed. Take alle þise thynges & cast togyder in a pot of
erthe, & take þerof whan þou wilt & serue forth.”
	Curye On Inglysch, Book IV, Forme of Cury, ed. Constance B.
Hieatt & Sharon Butler, Oxford University Press, Oxford 1985.
	I must state, in honesty, that the sausage recipe is probably
19th century Scandinavian. At least one of the spices was unknown to
medieval Europeans. Among the dozens of gentles who requested this
Østgarðrian trademark, not one seemed to care that it doesn't seem to
come from our period, or that extant recipes and menus suggest that
sausages as such aren't very common feast-day food. Østgarðrwurst,
Cotechino di Horiccio, Farcimina Ratus Via Caesariensis, call them what
you will, but this was the only way I could think of to present them in a
fairly medieval fashion, hoping that the comparative elegance of the raw
materials would override the other problems. Basically, the compot is
part chutney and part Italian mustard fruits. Rote of persel, rafens, and
rapes were unavailable at marketing time, so we went ahead and made the
stuff without parsley roots, and substituted daikon icicle radish for
both the white radishes and the turnips. Same with Lombardy mustard,
which is essentially wholegrain honey mustard, so we had to make do with
Guldens, whole mustard seed, and extra honey. Currants became ordinary
raisins, Greek wine became Rhine wine, instead of Grenache or retsina.
The list goes on and on.... However, this is one of those melánges where
the flavors are so mixed and masked that it almost doesn't matter what's
in it. One French version calls for green pickling walnuts and the
then-exotic medieval prototype of the carrot: looked like a radish,
tasted more like a beet. So what?!? It's a compot, right? All I know is
that we took available, seasonal foods and preserved them more or less as
it would have been done in the middle ages, and then stood there scarfing
the stuff like wild animals. Luckily, we made extra.
Ingredients:
Sausage -
	20 pounds skinless slab bacon, ground
	25 pounds boneless venison round, ground
	45 pounds boneless pork butt, ground
	18 ounces salt
	3 ounces coriander seed, ground
	3 ounces allspice, ground
	1 ounce cloves, ground
	6 ounces minced garlic
	4 ounces black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
	3 quarts red wine
Compot -
	40 pounds pears
	10 pounds parsnips
	10 pounds daikon
	5 pounds cabbage
	3/4 pound salt, approximately
	3 quarts white wine
	3 quarts red wine vinegar
	5 pounds raisins
	4 1/2 pounds honey
	12 ounces prepared mustard
	2 ounces whole yellow mustard seed
	1 1/2 ounces anise seed
	1 1/2 ounces fennel seed
	1/4 gram saffron

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com, (www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1709)